Friday, August 11, 2017

Is it school time yet?

Yes, I'm ready for my kids to go back to school. They have about 2 weeks left before school starts up again. I think they are looking forward to seeing their friends and teachers again. We've had a pretty good summer, but they are spending way to much time together. They always seem to be fighting.

I am looking forward to school supply shopping, though I don't know what all they need. I guess we could start with the basics and go from there. Andy is starting in the Junior/Senior High and I think we'll get him one big binder with folders for each class, like a trapper keeper. I loved the one I had as a kid. I've seen zipper ones in the store and I think that would be really good for him. He needs to be organized and take his homework seriously. He's so much like me it's scary. I never liked homework either. Sometimes I wish I could talk to my younger self and tell me all the things I need to do for a better future, like do homework. One day when the kids are grown up I hope to take a few college courses. Of course it will be stuff I'm actually interested in and will hopefully do well. I want to learn more math and languages. I'd love to learn Spanish and get better at German.

The kids are doing laundry. I'm scared. I told them what to do. We'll see how it goes. I've also taught them how to wash dishes, but I have to fill the sink with water. If they do it they don't get the water nearly hot enough. Sometimes I make it too hot and we let the dishes soak for a few minutes. I'm trying really hard to teach them the basics of homemaking. I've heard of kids moving out at 18 and having no clue what to do. I don't want that for my kids. Now I want them to make brownies. We have a mix they can use, so it will be really easy.

For my birthday this summer I got yarn from a few people. I really needed yarn and that was all I asked for. I made Emmy a hat, scarf, finger-less mittens, and leg warmers.
 I'm still working on some stuff for Andy.

Recently, Andy and I went on a quick trip to Idaho. Part of the trip was spent on the Snake River. Here's Andy in the cavity of a large rock.
 We had a lot of fun. We were with the church youth group and all the kids were so great. We went to the temple and did baptisms, then toured a food storehouse, then went to the river and explored and swam, then went to an escape room activity, then slept at a campground. Of course all this included eating lunch and dinner along the way. It was great and I can't wait till next time.

No comments: