Thursday, September 3, 2009

Grammatically Incorrect

i'm not a fan of using words wrong, but i do it all the time. for instance if i use the word have in a sentence then i will add -en to the verb. like "i haven't boughten that yet" or "i've caughten lots of balls" or "i have satten in that chair before." see, those aren't words. other things like "i'd've" or "here're" may not be acceptable contractions. i also use bad sentence structure. "will you get me out a plate?" i said that once and my dad just laughed at me and said i was "so amish". ha!apparently. also, some things i add an -s to: anyways, towards. they don't need an -s at the end. i dangle my participles like it's going out of style. "where are you from?" "where are you at?" "who should i give this to?" those kinds of things made my college english teacher cringe. actually, that last sentence had a lot wrong with it. you want more? i got more. "me and andrew went to the store." at least i don't misuse "I". i would never say something like "emmy surprised derek and i." i know that's wrong. so, what are some incorrect things you say?

6 comments:

Puphigirl said...

I never talk incorrectly, I am practically perfect in every way.

Ha! I'm no Mary Poppins! I will use prepositions at the end of a sentence, like "Who are you going shopping with?" When it should be "With whom are you going shopping?" I HATE when Kyle asks, "Where are you at?" Just ask "Where are you?" no at is needed.

I hate when people say but especially when they write "should of", "could of". No, those are contractions for "should have" or "could have" they need to be "should've or could've". I think they mix it with "kind of" and "sort of".

okeydokeyifine said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it drives me nuts too. Actually my english teacher in high school almost refuse a paper because she was sure I did not write it. I told her that I did not talk like a write and I explained a few like what Naomi said about WITH WHOM....

Anonymous said...

Lol! I grew up with an English teacher for a father, so grammar is one thing I'm good at!

greenolive said...

I'm sure one out of every three sentences that spew out of my mouth are incorrect. I also say weird things that don't mean what I want them to. Like I keep telling my kids to wipe their faces off. I really just want them to clean their faces, not wipe them completely off. I like their faces, but I can't get myself to stop saying it. pacivolc

Maura said...

I used to work at the DMV and one of the biggest things I had a problem with, was when poeple would say VIN Number......VIN stands for Vehicle Identification Number....so you are really saying Vehicle Identification Number Number, or ATM Machine.

I'm just saying. :)

Ruthykins said...

or pin number