Friday, February 5, 2010

The Biggest Project I Ever Did

first of all, ignore the stains in the carpet. i have kids who like to make messes.

when derek and i moved to utah back in '04 his parents gave us this couch with a matching chair. my mom gave us the pillows. isn't this couch ugly?

i recently got rid of the chair. yeah, i hated the denim. we used a slip cover for a few years, but eventually it got bad, too. so, finally i started to do something. i finally finished the foot rest i started last year. it's made out of tin cans and foam.

don't you just love the fabric? i love swirls!
and now for the crowning jewel. my mom came over today and helped me get a lot of this done. when she left all i had left to do was cover the cushions. i love it. it looks so much better. i'm gonna re-cover all the pillows, too, but i was tired after doing the couch so they will have to wait for another day. they will be in the same blue as the foot rest.


12 comments:

greenolive said...

That is an amazing before and after. That couch looks great.

Anonymous said...

Aren't moms the best...we can do such great things! I love the sayings along the right hand side of your blog! Have a blessed Weekend!
http://writing2makeadifference.blogspot.com/

Puphigirl said...

While you were covering that couch were you reminiscing about when you and EJ helped me recover my couch?

okeydokeyifine said...

Ruth did the work, mom just kibetz. Dad staple-gunned. Ruth measured, cut, sewed, and placed it on. (mom was tred and thought she would make a mistake) And then mom ripped a corner and had to sew it by hand, luckily it is in the back so you don't see it.
But doesn't it look great!?!
Nice job Ruth

Judy said...

I just recently came across your blog. The before and after of your couch is amazing! It's inspired me to redo my dining room chairs which have practically sagged to the floor! Beautiful work!

PJ and Annie said...

I love that fabric!!! It's even my curtains!

Emily said...

good job!!!! Love it, wanna come help me with mine???

Anonymous said...

wow! very cool!

EmmaP said...

WOW!!! I would say I am speechless... but that is so unlike me! hahaha!!! That is freakin AWESOME!!! So, did you buy "upholstery" fabric for that? what is it exactly?

I totally suck at sewing, and this blog just reminds me of that! hahaha! :)

Awesome color too!

Anonymous said...

interesting read. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you guys know that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.

Deborah said...

That is the coolest couch ever! It totally fits your personality. Way to go.

EmmaP said...

i forgot if you already figured out stocking hangers. well, if you need an idea for next here, go here... Shabby Coat Racks