Friday, October 3, 2008

talking

so, yesterday i was in the car with derek and he was on the phone talking to his brother about guns and gun manufacturers. we had been at cabela's and sportsman's warehouse looking at guns and he found two that he kinda liked, but had never heard of the manufacturer for one. that's why the phone called happened. anyway, his brother asked why he'd gotten a new shotgun and derek said he hadn't "boughten" it yet. as soon as he said it he realized what he said and then i started laughing at him. he blames me for doing this to him. he's always going on and on about how boughten and broughten aren't words. ha ha ha. that's all i have to say to him. he is so nitpicky with how i speak. he doesn't like mou'ains or bu'ons or mi'ens. he prefers mountains and buttons and mittens. for some reason i leave t's out of my words. when i write things i know how to do it correctly, but i just don't speak that way.

5 comments:

EmmaP said...

it's alll good. I like to shorten things when I write (thanks to the world of IMing & texting). When I write for fun, I like to write things like "cuz" and "lemme" for because and let me. However, i would NEVER submit a formal paper like that, us e use those pronunciations in a talk or anything!

Emily said...

Just keep reminding him Dequoys (or however he spelled it)

Maura said...

I do that too. I always shorten my words. Is all goo'

:)

greenolive said...

So does he say tweny or twenty?

Puphigirl said...

I'll say doin' instead of doing. Or gonna, lemme, watchya, stuff like that.

But when it comes to writing, I don't really use the short cuts. I'm not into the texting vernacular.